The River Stour Navigation dates from an Act of Parliament in 1705, and was used commercially for over two hundred years by lighters (barges). Scenes of the Stour busy with all kinds of activity have been immortalised by the landscape painter John Constable. See
|Boat Building near Flatford|
|Lock and Flatford Mill|
|The White Horse|
The River Stour Trust was set up in 1968 to preserve the navigation - one of the longest and most beautiful rivers in East Anglia, it is approximately 24 miles long. The Trust has restored Flatford and Dedham locks, Flatford Barge Dock (with the National Trust), the Quay Basin, Gasworks Cut and The Granary at Sudbury and an original Stour lighter. In 1997 the Trust built a new lock at Great Cornard, near Sudbury, on the site of the original lock of 1705.
Our electric launch Stour Trusty II runs from Easter to October on Sundays and Bank Holidays (and Wednesdays in the school summer holidays) and offers half-hourly trips between Flatford and Fen Bridge. The boat may also be chartered for trips to Dedham, Stratford St Mary and Brantham (telephone 01206 393680).
Donations for restoration work or applications for membership may be address to:River Stour Trust
Or see their Web page.