East Bergholt lies on a ridge overlooking the Stour valley where you will find Flatford and the Bridge Cottage complex both run by the National Trust.
|Opening Times :|
|March, April & October||Wed - Sun 11:00 - 17:30|
|May to September||Daily 10:00 - 17:30|
|November to 20th December||Wed - Sun 11:00 - 17:30|
Telephone 44 (0)845 330 7368 or FAX 44 (0)1206 298892 or Email: enquiries.fm @field-studies-council.org for details.
The complex includes the John Constable Exhibition, a tea room and shop and a restored Dry Dock. Wheelchairs are available for visitors with disabilities and a battery operated vehicle. A braille guide and audio commentary are also available. Special events are held regularly in the tea room. Admission is free.
One hour guided walks of the sites of Constable's paintings departing from Bridge Cottage are available Easter and every afternoon from May to the end of September, subject to availability. Pre-booking is available for groups. Charge: adult £1:80 children free.
Before the sea defences were built firstly at Judas Gap and more recently at Catterwade, Flatford was probably the limit of the tidal estuary and would have been the lowest bridging point on the Stour. In John Constable's time barges plied their trade up and down the Stour, the lock providing a means of navigating past the mill.
The clickable map gives details and pictures of the buildings around Flatford.